I’ve really been stalled out on house projects. For a while it was true lack of time, we were busy pretty much every weekend between late January and March. But March? We have lots of time. My parents aren’t coming down to help put up our backsplash until Easter weekend, and we really have no plans between now and then.
Last weekend I was utterly lazy. We watched a lot of tv, went to see a movie (Safe House, save your money), went to dinner, watched a few movies at home… really completely unproductive. I woke up this morning feeling like I wanted to DO something.
I think I’m just overwhelmed by options. There are so many things I want to do, and I kind of don’t know where to start. There are also a lot of things that I know I want to accomplish generally, but the space between inspiration and execution is filled with uncertainty of how exactly I want the finished product to look.
And then there is the money issue. None of these projects are free. And we have had an expensive few months. We’ve had some family-related travel items we’ve had to purchase (flights and hotels), Milo’s vet issues which have cost us almost $600, and lots and lots of gifts (between November and February we have 5 birthdays, Christmas, and our anniversary). Not to mention the fact that we just spent about $300 on tile and another $100 on hardware for our kitchen cabinets. So, bigger projects are pretty much off the table right now.
Also, and maybe I’m the only one who feels this way? Sometimes I feel badly about spending money on projects for the house. Even if I’m DIY’ing and getting good deals. Sometimes it just feels like, who am I trying to impress? Myself, mostly, I guess. I want to make our home beautiful because living in a beautiful place makes me happy. But at what point does taking pride in our home become wasteful? It is something I really struggle with, and I think that often puts a damper on my ideas for bigger projects.
Anyways, doing my monthly round-up of projects kept me on track pretty well last fall, so I’m going to give an update about where we are, and add some new projects to the list:
Bigger projects (due to time or money):
– stamped concrete patio (time(several weeks)/money(around 4k)) – estimated completion…. not sure? If B goes back to school this might be postponed indefinitely
– replace the flooring on the main level of the house with wood or bamboo (time(probably a month+)/money(no idea, but lots)) – estimated completion 2013 or 2014
– paint the guest bedroom/accent wall in the loft (time (a full day), we already have the paint) – Still trying to finalize my ideas. I think I might want to do some stenciling, which means needing to buy a stencil. Maybe around summer 2012?
– paint office and find new office furniture – Maybe summer 2012?
– do a tile backsplash in the kitchen (time (1-2 days)/money($500ish?)) – Tile is bought, installation planned for Easter weekend!
– Build a curtain rod and make curtains for great room (time(1-2 days)/money($50ish to build rod, $300ish for fabric)) (Fabric bought, still need to make drapes/hang them)
Small projects (under $100/one afternoon):
– Cover existing pillows in great room with fun fabric
– make 1-2 pillows for bench in great room
– figure out a better design for mantel in great room
– redo top of cabinets in kitchen with fall/christmas decor (kinda missed the boat on this one)
– paint tiny wall between great room and kitchen (this will make more sense with pictures)
– make chandeliers for breakfast nook and dining room
– Paint the back of the pantry door with chalkboard paint – Done!
– make a few wreaths for the front door (Fall wreath completed)
– hang some pictures/something on the wall behind our bed
– maybe do a photo wall leading up the stairs between the main level and master level
– recover pillows on the couch in the loft
– paint the bookcase in the loft a fun color (green?)
– new shower curtain/rug for guest bath
– paint the furniture in the guest room (headboard, 2 side tables, dresser)
– hang some photos/art in the guest room and maybe hallway upstairs
– organize my crafting stuff in the sewing room
– put contact paper design on our back door – Done!!
– possibly putting a chair rail/batten board up in dining room?
– Hang curtain rods in bedroom and hem fabric I used in wedding to make curtains (DONE!)
– Put hardware on the cabinets in the kitchen – Done!!
So, I have completed a few projects but still have lots more to do! And I’m still not quite sure where to start. It seems as though getting stuff hung on our walls would be easy but this has had me stalled out for over two years now. I have a handful of frames for the gallery wall that I want to do, but I have nothing to fill them. And I’m not sure if I need more frames? And if I do need more than I need to go buy more and also buy spray paint and paint them, and then fill those frames with..? I desperately want to get something hung on the wall behind our bed but nothing I picture in my mind seems right. I feel like I’m simultaneously filled with inspiration of beautiful rooms and completely frozen in the inability to make a decision on what is right for the rooms in our home. I guess I’m just not quite sure where to start.
Anyone else ever feel paralyzed in decorating by options and inspiration and the inability to just make a decision and move forward?