I love netflix.
It is basically the best invention ever.
When they pulled a kamikaze and decided to double everyone’s subscription fees, we ditched the dvd rental side and stuck with just the instant streaming… which is really what it is best for anyways. I think the thing with netflix is that you have to manage your expectations. It is not the best site to rely on for movies because their selection is sparse and always changing. But for for tv shows? Rocks.
I think if it weren’t for B’s addiction to sports I could be completely content getting rid of cable all together. I like to find a series and watch it exclusively until I finish it. My favorite are series that are already over so that I know I’ll get to see the whole thing start to finish. Once you start using netflix it is kind of hard to switch back to only 13-ish shows per year, right?
Anyways, I’ve about come to the end of the series I had queued and I’m looking for some new material. I thought I’d do a top-10 list of my favorite series in the hopes some of you might give them a try, and maybe you can make some suggestions for me on what to watch next? (Update: Top 14 because I couldn’t cut four more out)
14. How I Met Your Mother- We just started this a few weeks ago. I’ll admit I didn’t really love it at first. The basic premise pisses me off because I know that we’re like 8 seasons in with no mother in sight… but if you can forget what the show is supposed to be about and just enjoy it as a comedy, it’s kind of hilarious.
13. Roseanne- Probably a personal thing… but I freaking love Roseanne. It’s a very nostalgic show for me and I loved watched the whole thing start to finish.
12. Weeds- If this show had quit after the first three seasons, it’d probably be in my top 5. I loooooved the first three seasons, and it has kind of gone steadily down hill from there. But, it is still worth watching in my opinion (even if I do kind of really hate the main character at this point).
11. Mad Men- Who doesn’t love sexist assholes who drink too much, smoke too much, and cheat on their wives? I guess it doesn’t SOUND very good… but it is actually amazing.
10. Medium- Try not to judge me here. I know it is cheesy, but I actually really loved this series. It has a good mix of new crime stories every episode and ongoing story-lines with the main characters and their families.
9. Nip/Tuck- Totally unbelievable and verging on soft-core p-rn, but still that kind of show where you just have.to.know. what happens next. It’s kind of like a soap opera for non-housewives.
8. Roswell- The first display of my obsession with teen drama. I won’t even apologize. Teenagers, aliens, I mean come on– this is quality tv here.
7. Greek- This was a show I hadn’t even heard of prior to netflix. It is about sororities and frats, the kind of thing I’d usually completely skip because there isn’t enough drama. But, for some reason we decided to give it a shot and it was actually great in a completely light-hearted kind of way.
6. Prison Break- I was SO excited to see this on netflix. I began watching it when it first aired, but after the first season I was too busy with law school to ever tune in again. It’s almost a good thing because this show is so intense that I think that watching it all over a few weeks rather than a few years really helps keep you engaged (and also from getting angry at all the freaking cliffhangers!)
5. Sons of Anarchy- B had to talk me into watching this. A motorcycle gang? Meh. But it had enough dude-stuff for him and enough murder and mystery for me that it quickly became one of my favorite shows. We watched the first two seasons in ONE week.
4. Breaking Bad- I loved it. Then I hated it. Then I loved it again. This is another one that is kind of rough if you NEED to like the main character (I usually do). But, the supporting cast is so good that I was able to love this show despite hating the main dude. I can’t wait for the next season to come out!
3. Rescue Me- One of my first netflix series, and still one of my very favorites. My brother always told me how good this show was but it seemed like the kind of thing you needed to start from the beginning. I love Dennis Leary so this was a no-brainer, and it delivered on every level (comedy, drama, family stuff, guys without shirts… it hits all the bases)
2. Friday Night Lights- Football? Me? YES. I don’t even know why I loved this show so much. It is everything that usually annoys me (sports and conservative Texans)… and yet somehow it was still awesome. Awesome enough that it earned the #2 spot on my favorites list.
1. Veronica Mars- I don’t know that I’ve ever been more obsessed with a show than Veronica Mars. I just… want to be her. I don’t think you can like crime shows and be a girl and not LOVE this show because Veronica is just so kick-ass. And even guys love this show! I started watching the first season alone, assuming B would be uninterested. But about 4 or 5 episodes in he happened to be hanging out on his computer one day when I turned it on and he quickly got obsessed too. I kind of hate seeing Kristen Bell in anything else now, she IS Veronica Mars!
So there ya go– my top 14 (random!) favorite Netflix instant streaming series. What am I not watching? Are there any awesome shows I haven’t already seen?