One of things I like best about blogging is that it keeps me motivated to do things around the house. I have a tendency towards un-motivation, but actually writing out my plans in some sort of public forum gives me a push to get things done. It’s been about eleven months since my re-entry into blogging, so let’s take a list at my updated to-do list, and see how I’ve done. Of course, once I finish this list I’m sure I’ll have 10 other things pop up, but that is the nature of making a house a home!
Bigger Projects (due to time or money):
– stamped concrete patio – on hold indefinitely while B goes back to school
– landscaping front flower beds – working on hiring someone!
– Replacing flooring on main level of house with wood or bamboo – on hold until after B is done with school
– paint the guest bedroom/accent wall in loft – still trying to decide what exactly I want to do.
– Paint office and find new office furniture – In progress!
– Tile backsplash in kitchen – DONE!
– Curtain rod and curtains for great room – currently unmotivated on this project
– Cover existing pillows in great room with fun fabric
– make 1-2 pillows for bench in great room
– paint tiny wall between great room and kitchen
– new lighting for breakfast nook and dining room (DIY)
– Paint the back of the pantry door with chalkboard paint – Done!
– Hang some photos/art in the guest room and upstairs hallway
– organize my crafting stuff in the sewing room – Done!
– Put contact paper design on back door – Done!
– Hang curtain rods in bedroom and hem fabric I used in wedding to make curtains- Done!
– Put hardware on the cabinets in the kitchen- Done!
– Gallery wall going up the stairs – Almost done, update to come within the week!
– Figure out art for behind our bed
– Paint guest bed furniture and make-over guest room- Done, done, done, and done!
Overall, I am really happy with what I’ve accomplished this year. I’ve done a ton of small projects that haven’t cost too much and have really made this place feel less cookie-cutter and more ours. By and large our “big” projects remain undone, and probably will for the foreseeable future. With B headed back to school, it just isn’t the time to sink thousands into home upgrades that are far from necessary. But moving forward with the little stuff is, for now, totally satisfying my DIY urge without making me feel guilty about the money.
And thus concludes my 11-month update. Stay tuned the rest of this week for updates on my gallery wall (so close to done!) and the desk (I think I think I think I maybe figured it out? *knock on wood*)!!